Friday, February 19, 2010

A Moral Dilemma: Triplicate or Go for the Win?

I bowl in the IBM Bowling League every Thursday. My average is a solid 188 right now (up 30 points from last year) through 20+ weeks. Last night, however, I just didn't have it...couldn't throw a strike for the life of me and the good balls left either 10-pins or splits. My first two games I recorded a 154 and there's actually an achievement out there if all 3 scores in your 3-game series are the exact same: the Triplicate. In order to get the triplicate, I needed another 154 in my 3rd game, but with all the double scores in bowling, it's not as easy to get as it may seem. Through 7 frames, I already had 147 with a spare going into the 8th. I was then presented with a moral dillemma. Do I throw a gutter here, try and get 7 on the second ball, and then gutter the last two frames? Or do I go for the better score and help my team try to win a a close game? For the record, we had already locked up the championship game match at the end of the season by winning the first half (we would play the winner of the second half - if it's us again, we win the whole thing). We were 7 games behind 1st place when the night started with just 3 weeks left, so realistically it didn't look like we'd have a chance to catch the top team, which would be our goal this half. So now would be the time to tank the game and go for the Triplicate, right? I mean, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity...only one other bowler in the league is a member of this exclusive club. Well, I decided that it wouldn't be moral to do so - beating this team would help another team for example - so I didn't throw any intentional gutters in my 3rd game. What really sucks is that we ended up losing the 3rd game anyway cause the other team had a bowler hit 246, so not only did I lose the game, but my Triplicate as well. Looking back, I partly regret that I sacrificed my Triplicate chance and took the ethical route. I'll just have to go out next time and try and get three 200s or something. That'd be a prouder score anyway.

On a side note related to bowling, for the second time through 21 weeks, I am the team leader in average! This is surely a feat since I roll with Chris who is better and usually a 190+ bowler! I doubt this lead will last, but either way, I've come a long way from last year.