Monday, June 24, 2013

Lexus IS 250/350: How to Replace the Cruise Control Lever

One day my cruise control lever broke when I accidentally pressed it downward too hard.  The shaft snapped in half and I was forced to take it apart with just the bare wires hanging since it would flop around every time I turned the wheel otherwise.

I asked the Lexus dealer how much it would cost me to have them fix it and they wanted $150 for the part and $175 for labor, bringing the grand total to a whopping $325!  That seemed like a lot to pay for such a simple part that theoretically still worked, so I explored my Do-It-Yourself options and what I found only cost me $85 for the part!

How-To Guide: Replacing the Cruise Control Lever on a Lexus IS250/350
Note: My car is the 2006 IS250 model, not sure if newer models are different.
DISCLAIMER: If you follow my guide to fix your cruise control lever, you do so at your own risk. I am not liable for any resulting damage, injury, or expense. I am not a professional mechanic in any sense and this guide is solely for informational purposes. 

PURCHASE PART ONLINE:
-Adaptive Cruise Control Lever #CCA1022 (~$85 after shipping at rockauto.com)
 

STEP 1:
Disconnect the car battery.  This is a safety precaution obviously!


STEP 2: 
Locate the side panels on each side of your steering wheel and pop them off gently with a knife
 
Use a special screwdriver to unscrew the fastener that keeps the front panel / airbag in place.

STEP 3:
Carefully lift the front panel / airbag and set it above your steering wheel.  I didn't have to disconnect the airbag to access the cruise control lever and I imagine you shouldn't unless you absolutely need to.
Unscrew the two screws holding the cruise control lever onto the wheel and remove the old piece.  All that will remain is the electrical connector.
Connect your new cruise control lever and then put everything back together!  Don't forget to reconnect your battery too!

This literally took me like 15 minutes to execute but it was my first time (and hopefully the last since I will be more gentle when I set my my cruise control from now on)!

MORE LEXUS IS250/350 GUIDES BY ANDY:
Lexus IS 250/350: How to Perform an Oil Change