Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Andy Lin's Lickity List (Amazing $10 Authentic Meals in Tucson)

Welcome to Andy Lin's Lickity List!  Only restaurants that are unique to Tucson can be found on this list.  The other great part is that it's all very cheap - around $10 for an amazing meal!  I usually stick to the same item off the menu at these places to satisfy the craving of a meal I haven't had in a while.

This list will be a running log that I will update whenever I go to one of my several favorite restaurants in Tucson, so be sure to check back for my latest recommendations via the link under my Hot Topics section!

Andy Lin's Lickity List
Amazing $10 Authentic Meals in Tucson

China Szechwan
1800 E Fort Lowell Rd
Tucson, AZ 85719
Date Visited: Mar 28, 2017
Style: Sichuan
Go-To-Lick: Water-Boiled Fish
Price: $10.75 including tax 

Raves: Tucson is not known for its Chinese food.  In fact, I usually save my cravings for Chinese food for when I'm in Phoenix, since my parents only eat Chinese food.  However, sometimes I'm not up there for a while and I'll want some home cooking.  Fortunately there are a few places in Tucson that can satisfy the hunger.

China Szechwan is a small, privately owned restaurant that offers both an Americanized Chinese menu and a traditional Sichuan menu.  I strongly suggest that you visit for lunch, as they're extremely busy during dinner hours and you run the risk of waiting an hour for your food...

We'll get to my Go-To-Lick in just a bit, but if you're feeling like an appetizer while you wait, try the Dan Dan Noodles for $3.50 (not including tax).  While they're nothing that special, they're simple, spicy noodles with ground pork on top and quite appetizing.
As for the main dish, I come here for the Water-Boiled Fish.  They have several meat choices you can choose from, such as chicken, beef, tripe, pork, pork blood, etc...  However, if you've never had fish at a Chinese restaurant, your missing out.  I'm not exactly sure what kind of fish fillets are used (I'm guessing cod?), but the fish is always tender and flaky, so delicious.  It comes with rice, so I like to throw the fish and soup onto the rice and eat it kind of curry style.
Finally, I will warn everyone that both dishes can be a little spicy, but in comparisons with some other Sichaun restaurants I've been to, I'd say the spice is a little light here, which isn't a bad thing.



Ikkyu
2040 W Orange Grove Rd
Tucson, AZ 85704

Date Visited: Jun 25, 2016
Style: Japanese
Go-To-Lick: Tonkotsu Ramen
Price: $8.33 including tax
Read this review. 


Indian Frybread - Manna from Heaven
1118 W St. Mary's Rd
Tucson, AZ 85745

Date Visited: December 23, 2015
Style: Mexican
Go-To-Lick: Indian Taco, Wednesday special (with ground beef, no beans, and red/green chili)
Price: $7.84 including tax
Read this Review.


Sher-E-Punjab
853 E Grant Rd
Tucson, AZ 85719
Date Visited: September 24, 2015
Style: Indian
Go-To-Lick: Lamb Vindaloo with Basmati Rice
Price: $12.44 including tax
Read this Review.


BK Tacos & Hotdogs
5118 S 12th Ave
Tucson, AZ 85706

Date Visited: August 21, 2014
Style: Sonora Mexican
Go-To-Lick: Large Caramelo Asada
Price: $6.78 including tax 
Read this Review.


Saing Thai Cuisine
9136 E Valencia Rd
Tucson, AZ 85747

Date Visited: June 19, 2014
Style: Thai
Go-To-Lick: Pad Kee Mao
Price: $8.59 including tax 
Read this Review.


Frog & Firkin
874 East University Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85719 
Date Visited: May 12, 2014
Style: English Pub
Go-To-Lick: The Firkin Burger with Cheese
Price: $9.13 including tax 
Read this Review.


El Guero Canelo
2480 North Oracle Road
Tucson, AZ 85705 
Date Visited: May 3, 2014
Style: Sonora Mexican
Go-To-Lick: 2x Carne Asada Burro Jr. with Extra Cheese
Price: $9.27 including tax 
Read this Review.


Andy Lin is your typical Tucson resident and is a not food connoisseur.  He is simply a man who knows what pleases his tastebuds and belly.   Special thanks to Nate M. and Matt H. for help with coming up with a title for this list.