Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Andy Lin's Lickity List (Amazing $10 Authentic Meals in Tucson)

Welcome to Andy Lin's Lickity List!  Only restaurants that are unique to Tucson can be found on this list.  The other great part is that it's all very cheap - around $10 for an amazing meal!  I usually stick to the same item off the menu at these places to satisfy the craving of a meal I haven't had in a while.

This list will be a running log that I will update whenever I go to one of my several favorite restaurants in Tucson, so be sure to check back for my latest recommendations via the link under my Hot Topics section!

Andy Lin's Lickity List
Amazing $10 Authentic Meals in Tucson

Sher-E-Punjab
853 E Grant Rd
Tucson, AZ 85719
Date Visited: September 24, 2015
Style: Indian
Go-To-Lick: Lamb Vindaloo with Basmati Rice
Price: $12.44 including tax

Raves: In a city known mostly for its fantastic Mexican food, it's rare that you will find authentic cuisines from other origins.  For great Indian food in Tucson, there's not many choices, but that's fine, because we really only need one and that's Sher-E-Punjab.

My Go-To-Lick is the Lamb Vindaloo, which is chunks of lamb and potatoes cooked in a darker, vinaigrette curry sauce.  I've tried vindaloo curry at other Indian restaurants, but usually the vinegar taste is too strong for me and takes away from the flavorful curries.  I also like to order to a side of rice and mix it all into the curry.
When I order, I always ask for them to make it "spicy".  I think the guy on the phone recognizes my voice, so it's always made at a spice level that I enjoy, which can be fairly hot for most.  I will say that if you order "spicy", expect it to be pretty spicy because these guys won't mess around.  I have tried "extra spicy" and I admit that it was a bit much for me, but I pained my way to eat the whole dish in one sitting because the flavor is just so good.

Sher-E-Punjab does a wonderful job with all their dishes, so if you're not into lamb, I would also recommend the Tikka Masala, which is a chicken curry and their most popular dish.  A lot of customers like to order naan instead of rice to dip it in the curry, and any of the naans they offer are delicious.

The restaurant is privately owned and has featured the same staff for years.  I go about once a month and the staff recognizes me, so I guess you could call me a regular.  If you're interested in getting some more variety during your visit, I highly recommend going for their lunch buffet.  It is around $10 as well and then you can try tandoori chicken, multiple curries, samosas, and more!


BK Tacos & Hotdogs
5118 S 12th Ave
Tucson, AZ 85706

Date Visited: August 21, 2014
Style: Sonora Mexican
Go-To-Lick: Large Caramelo Asada
Price: $6.78 including tax 
Read this Review.


Saing Thai Cuisine
9136 E Valencia Rd
Tucson, AZ 85747

Date Visited: June 19, 2014
Style: Thai
Go-To-Lick: Pad Kee Mao
Price: $8.59 including tax 
Read this Review.


Frog & Firkin
874 East University Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85719 
Date Visited: May 12, 2014
Style: English Pub
Go-To-Lick: The Firkin Burger with Cheese
Price: $9.13 including tax 
Read this Review.


El Guero Canelo
2480 North Oracle Road
Tucson, AZ 85705 
Date Visited: May 3, 2014
Style: Sonora Mexican
Go-To-Lick: 2x Carne Asada Burro Jr. with Extra Cheese
Price: $9.27 including tax 
Read this Review.


Andy Lin is your typical Tucson resident and is a not food connoisseur.  He is simply a man who knows what pleases his tastebuds and belly.   Special thanks to Nate M. and Matt H. for help with coming up with a title for this list.