Monday, May 5, 2014

Andy Lin's Lickity List (Amazing $10 Authentic Meals in Tucson)

Every city has its secrets, and if you're crazy about food as much as I am, you yearn to know where the best authentic food in the city is.  I've lived in Tucson for 13 years now, and today I introduce you to Andy Lin's Lickity List!  This list includes authentic restaurants that only appear in Tucson and that I continuously return to for a meal, which costs around $10.  I love specific menu items so much that I will almost always get the same thing every time I go to the restaurant!  I also won't be commenting on the service or atmosphere of a restaurant; nope, it's all about the food for this list!

This list will be a running log that I will update whenever I go to one of my several favorite restaurants in Tucson, so be sure to check back for my latest recommendations via the link under my Hot Topics section!

Andy Lin's Lickity List
Amazing $10 Authentic Meals in Tucson

El Guero Canelo
2480 North Oracle Road
Tucson, AZ 85705 

Date Visited: May 3, 2014
Style: Sonora Mexican
Go-To-Lick: 2x Carne Asada Burro Jr. with Extra Cheese
Price: $9.27 including tax

Raves: If you're a Tucson resident, you're no stranger to El Guero Canelo.  Tucson is home of many "messy Mexican" a.k.a. fast food Mexcian restaurants and there will be plenty to make my Lickity List!  El Guero Canelo has all types of items from burritos to caramelos to Sonora dogs.  My Go-To-Lick here is the Burro Jr. for $3.29.  The burritos all come with cabbage and beans that I'm not a fan of in this burrito, so I elect for the Burro Jr., which only contains the precious carne asada meat.  I then ask for them to add queso (cheese) for $1.29.  One Burro Jr. is not enough to satisfy my hunger, so I'll end up getting two.
While you wait for your food, you have to make your way to the salsa bar and grab some Mexican condiments to put in each burrito.  I get a solo cup of hot red salsa, a cup avocado sauce, and a cup of pico de gayo for each burrito.  That makes 6 cups of condiments and 2 burritos, for a countless amount of authentic amazingness!
I think what makes Guero so delicious is their carne asada.  The meat differs at each of these types of Mexican restaurants in Tucson and Guero has one of the best!  If you're a soda drinker, you can also try a Mexican bottle of Pepsi, which tastes different because they're made with sugarcane sugar.

Andy Lin is your typical Tucson resident and is a not food connoisseur.  He is simply a man who knows what pleases his tastebuds and belly.   Special thanks to Nate M. and Matt H. for help with coming up with a title for this list.