Sunday, September 9, 2012

Brand New Desk (Lots of Assembly Required)!

I've had the same computer desk for over 10 years.  It's one that my mom bought for me for college and while it was useful enough, it's actually pretty small.  Here is a picture of what it looks like:
I've been wanting a new desk for a while now, something significantly bigger with nicer wood as well. (LOL, I didn't mean to make that sound dirty)  I went to a couple furniture stores in town and eventually I found one at OfficeMax I really liked.  What I ended up getting was a Bush Bennington Manager's Desk.  It was a bit pricey at $400 including tax, but I'm always willing to pay more for higher quality goods.  The desk arrived in a couple days and came in two packages:
The reviews online said that the assembly would be an arduous task. Some comments included "Counting wood, nails, misc. parts, this box contained about 500 parts." and "It took two of us approximately 6 hours to put together." They were not kidding!  I have attached a few pictures of the various parts and pieces required for assembly:
 
 
 
I worked from home on Friday so that I could work on the desk all day long.  I started around 12:30pm and it took me about 40 minutes to completely unpack the two boxes.  Fortunately the instruction manual was very informative and the pieces were all well labeled and organized.  I finished the shell of the desk around 5pm although I took an hour-long lunch break and was running benchmarks for work throughout the day.  Although the manual advises not to use a power drill, I still did and it came up huge.  25 steps and about 7 hours later, I have a brand new desk that I really love! Hooray for upgrading the quality of life! :D
UPDATE: While writing this blog, I looked up the desk online to grab the link so that you may find it online as well.  Turns out there is an instant savings today of $50 so I called OfficeMax just now and got credited back the difference!  FYI, they'll refund you the difference if the price drops within 14 days of purchase.   It's funny because if I didn't blog about this, I wouldn't have looked at the item online again and seen the savings!