Tuesday, September 4, 2012

2-Mile Run for Oil

Today I worked from home so that I could change the oil on my car.  I went through the normal process: drained the oil, changed the oil filter, etc.  And when I got to the final step, which is to pour in new oil, I realized that I didn't have any oil to put in there! :/

I had only a quart and a half of oil handy, so I called O'Reilly Autoparts to see if driving a mile to their store on a quart of motor oil is safe.  The clerk advised strongly against that, saying it would damage my engine if I were to try.  I also considered my friend Matt's suggestion of pouring the old oil back in there, but then I would have to lift the car and drain the oil again, which is a big hassle. 

So I decided to run.  A mile is really not that far away, so I put on a backpack and put a cold gatorade, my keys and wallet and ran to the store.  It was pretty hot out, easily over 100 degrees and I chugged that gatorade the second I got to the store.  I put 6 quarts of oil in my bag and made the trek back, jogging slower this time around since I was carrying around extra weight.  The total trip only took about 30 minutes, which is about the same amount of time it would've taken me to drive to the closest Walmart anyway and I got a good workout too!

That was the first time I've run more than a mile in long while (I'll run a mile max at the gym), so I won't be joining any marathons anytime soon.  Hopefully next time I'll double-check that I have oil ready so that I don't have to embark on spontaneous afternoon workouts!