Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Changing My Eating Habits!

On Saturday night, I put on the pants to my black suit that I bought a little over a year ago.  It was a bit tight and I realized, "damn, I'm really starting to let myself go aren't I?" Actually, I know I'm not as thin as I used to be in prime and I haven't had six-pack abs since high school.  And it's been easy to notice that my belly is definitely larger than what I think is ideal.  Anyway, when I measured myself after putting on those pants, I was a big 34.5" around the waist! :'( Granted I had just finished eating a large meal, but still...I felt very fat.  On Monday morning just a couple days ago, I measured 33.5", which is probably most accurate.

On the scale, I still weigh 177 lbs, which is close to what I've weighed for the last few years.  Nonetheless, my waist still seems too large for my taste and with my single-forever lifestyle, I need to look my best if I'm to attract any honies.  I've been known to be able to eat a lot in my history, being given nicknames like "The Bottomless Box."  So now I'm starting to really watch and control my portions.  In the past, I'd usually do 2 or 3 big meals throughout the day: Lunch around 2pm, Dinner around 7pm, late meal around 12pm.  After doing some research on eating habits, I'm now trying to split up my meals and eat every few hours: Breakfast in the morning, Lunch around 1pm, 2nd part of Lunch around 4pm, Dinner around 7pm, 2nd dinner around 10pm, maybe an after midnight snack if I'm still hungry.  I think the key is to just control how much I eat at any one time and not overeat even though I may be eating the same amount of food throughout the day.  Either way, I'm gonna give it a try!  So far it's been challenging to stop when I'm not completely full but still satisfied, and I do look forward to the next meal only being a few hours away!  I seem to have a ton of leftovers in the fridge now too, lol.

As for exercise, I haven't let up on that too much.  I still lift every 3-4 days and play basketball on the off days.  Unfortunately, my lower body just can't sustain the pounding from playing ball on back-to-back nights, so there are definitely days where I don't hit the gym at all (I think overall I'll go to the gym just 4-5 days a week).  Thus, I'm getting ready to explore the world of P90X, something my friend Matt has had great success with recently.  However, I probably won't do the whole 90-day program at once since lifting and basketball are still more important to me.  What I plan on doing is P90X workouts on the off days where I don't go to the gym at all.  That way I'll be constantly doing something active everyday, which is important with my sedentary job at IBM and playing all those StarCraft games at the computer. :)

So we'll see how it goes.  I measure 33.5" right now around the waste and I guess the goal is to lose an inch or two and just feel slimmer!  And hopefully date some cuties as a result!