Monday, June 28, 2010

A Hyatt Weekend in Scottsdale: Gainey Ranch

Over the weekend, Chet and Kassie organized a quick vacation in Scottsdale and we stayed at the Hyatt at Gainey Ranch. Kassie was there to celebrate her 24th birthday (Happy Birthday Kassie!) and for the most part it was what one expect: lots of drinking, lots of hanging out by the pool, and lots of fun!Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures this trip...don't really want to bring a camera to the pool and also because I was too busy partying. :) These first two pictures are from the Scottsdale Hyatt website.We arrived on Friday in the early afternoon and immediately hit the drinks and the pool. I'm not a big fan of sand volleyball, but I could definitely play pool volleyball for hours. I think it's 'cause I'm not good at bumping, but in the pool you're mostly setting the ball. Pool basketball was also a lot of fun and the hoop was at a good height where you couldn't just dunk on people all the time. This Hyatt also has a really fun corkscrew slide that is actually pretty aggressive. Had to ride that thing at least twice. :D
Friday was Kassie's birthday, so we all went to Camarone's Mexican Grill for dinner. Later than night we hit up the Devil's Martini in Old Town Scottsdale. I've always heard about it, I guess some people don't like it, but we all really enjoyed ourselves. There was no cover that night (kinda unheard of for a club in Scottsdale, although probably 'cause it wasn't crazy busy) and there were also 2-for-1 drink specials. I started the night off by ordering a round of Tic-Tacs for our party of 10. If you've ever hung out at the bar with Chet or myself, you'll know that we're notorious for buying shots and drinks for everyone and keeping them coming. I was really happy at the end of the night to see that I had only spent $70 even though I had bought about 20+ drinks.Friday was definitely our rage night...I personally got so trashed that when we made it back to the hotel, I passed out on the bathroom floor. It was super scary when I woke up still severely drunk to find myself in a room I had no idea where anything was. The bathroom door was closed and I was poking around for what felt like an hour trying to find a light switch...only to remember the next morning that the light switches were located outside the bathroom, LOL. I eventually found my way to the bed next to a passed-out Jon. I laid there for what was probably another hour, freezing my ass off and struggling to find a blanket. I was like, "where the eff is the effing blanket!?" Well, turns out that the blanket was bright white like the bed sheets and Jon finally woke up and was looking for the same thing. Me: "Jonny, where are the blankets!?" Jon: "Oh my god, we're on top of them!" After finding the blankets, my drunk ass could finally get some comfortable sleep.Before I passed out, I somehow had the presence of mind to take my multivitamin, take out my contacts, and change into some sleeping clothes. But that didn't help the small hangover I'd have the next day. I tried Chet's recommendation of the Bloody Mary, which helped a little, but I wasn't planning on drinking for most of Saturday anyway since I had plans to treat my parents and my sister's family to dinner, a late Father's Day celebration. We went to Crazy Buffet on Priest and Elliot, which is decent in terms of chinese buffets.
Saturday night was pretty low key. We pretty much hung out at the resort all night. However, about 12:30 rolled around, Ben and I were hungry, and I knew there was a Jack-in-the-Box at Scottsdale and Shea. So we drove over there, only to pass by Ernie's bar and randomly make a short appearance. I stayed for a drink, ran into a couple friends, got hit on by a really drunk girl, and watched some very entertaining karaoke. Eventually we got our Jack and headed back to the hotel, but nothing like a random stop at a Scottsdale bar, right?
The next day we ate at Lolo's Chicken and Waffles then headed back to Tucson, which wrapped up a very nice "staycation" (stealing your word here Matt, but should mention that Ben and Jon hate that term). Next stop, Dana Point for the 4th of July weekend!!!