Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mission Accomplished!

So last week I informed you of an event-packed weekend I had upcoming for me. I attempted to do it all, but fell one event short due to over-exhaustion, but overall I survived the whole thing and really had a blast.

Last Wednesday was Chet's bachelor party in Vegas. We were only there for one day, but we made the most of it. We gambled in the afternoon playing $5 blackjack at O'Sheas where I won $150 on one table. We weren't able to gamble that much on the trip, which probably helped cut down on the number of losses I could endure and as a result I ended up $40 for the trip...not bad.

There were about 14 of us staying at Mandalay bay, so we had dinner at the Rumjungle where they served us a variety of meats on a sword (well the sword looked more like an oversized skewer to me).
After a delicious meal, we made our way to The Mix, which is a lounge also at Mandalay and resides about 55 stories up that overlooks the entire strip. At the mix, we met up with a girl I had met on the airplane coming from Tucson into Las Vegas. Not often that you actually meet someone on the plane who's really cool and you can have a fun time hanging out with, but that was definitely the case. Next on the agenda was an hour-long ride in a Limo-Humvee around the city of Las Vegas. It didn't feel like an hour, but possibly because we were all fairly drunk at this point and enjoying the time as wannabe ballas. ;)

Our eventual destination was Ghost Bar at the Palms. This was another lounge/mini-club 60 or so stories up that overlooked the strip. I say mini-club because there wasn't much dancing going on, but there could've been. And for a Wednesday night, the look was actually pretty good.
I think Chet got the bachelor party he wanted and I'm surprised that we had no casualties (I don't think anyone threw up or made a complete ass of themselves that night). The next day we had an 11am flight to catch in the morning, which basically meant I wasn't going to get much sleep that night. I cashed in around 4:30am in the morning and woke up at 7:30am, so on the way home from Vegas I tried to salvage any sleep I could on the plane, but that proved rather challenging since the rest of the party was still drinking and partying on the planeride home. Thursday night, the bowling championships were at 6:30pm, so when I got back to my home at 2pm, I tried to squeeze in a quick nap to recharge my batteries for the finale. When I got to bowling, I was deathly tired, but once I sipped some Amberbock at the alley, I felt rejuvenated. I ended up bowling close enough to my average where it didn't hurt my team's chances and luckily our X-Factor (the player with the lowest average of 150) really had a great night bowling two great games of 180 and 200. We walked away from the night as repeat champions and I joked about how I should make trips to Vegas the night before the finals a tradition. :)The picture above shows my championship patch from '08-'09 and my new championship magnet from '09-'10. They cut on costs this year which means we no longer get patches and apparently we can't even get a magnet that has the year(s) we won the damn thing in. :(
Anyway, following bowling I was supposed to go to my friend's birthday party, but after a post-bowling celebratory dinner at Texas Roadhouse, I just felt too tired to make the drive to the party. I knew I had to get up early for golf on Friday morning and if I went to that party I wouldn't have survived. I flaked and just crashed when I got home. :(
Friday was an absolute beautiful day for golfing. I really suck at golf in case you didn't know, and for the 9-hole scramble, the only shot I contributed was a 17-ft putt I sank for birdie. The picture shows my co-worker teeing off, but as you can see there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the temperature was a chill 68 degrees. Considering how poorly I played, I kinda regret committing myself to golf and would've rather gone to the birthday party if I had to pick between the two. I don't think I'll play golf again next year unless I drastically improve my game, but it was a good bonding event to share with my co-workers. That afternoon was the spring training baseball game...sad that this is the last year the D'Backs will have spring training in Tucson.
The D'Backs won the game in a 10-2 rout over the lowly Atheltics. The rest of Friday I just wanted to recooperate from the previous 3 days and get ready for Chet and Kassie's wedding which was being held at the golf resort in Tubac, Arizona. The venue was gorgeous and I can see why it was worth the 45-min drive to get here. Some shots of the place can be found on facebook, here, here, and here.
I enjoyed the music they played at the ceremony. It was a Strings instrumental of various 80s rock and modern pop songs. I have to ask Chet and Kassie where they found that album. The reception followed shortly after and was open bar, but I spent the first half of the reception contemplating whether I'd be making the drive back up to Tucson or if I'd be staying at the resort overnight.I eventually made the executive decision to crash in Tubac and then I kicked my drinking into high gear. The wedding was a blast and I was really happy to be a part of it...I knew so many people there that I would've really hated missing out. And overall it was a great weekend, but now it's back to work, back to doing taxes, back to chores and errands, and back to reality. *sigh*