Friday, March 26, 2010

Gilbert's Sentence is Today

Gilbert Arenas is scheduled to be sentenced today, March 26, in D.C.'s Superior Court. In case you missed my first blog entry regarding this story, the gist of it is that he brought unloaded guns into the Wizards' locker room to play a bad joke on his teammate and he's charged with possession of a handgun, which violates the strict laws in D.C. I guess they're expecting him to get 3-6 months of jail time, a 3-year probation, and 300 hours of community service. Whatever the case, he appears ready to take his punishment like a man, and for that I laud him.

Some people ask me why I'm so fond of Gilbert Arenas. Aside from the fact that he's a U of A alum, I know he's not very bright off the court, but I what I care about is his personality as a basketball player. He plays with a goofball attitude a majority of the time and looks like he's just having fun out there. He's really friendly to people when he takes the court: other players, refs, fans, and seems to get along with just about everyone. And when it's crunchtime, he plays with the fire and aggression that is needed in today's NBA superstars to win ball games. I'm a lot like Gilbert when I take the court myself. I'm also a short combo guard who loves to shoot with a sort of reckless abandon but I'm effective and will always get my share of assists. And regardless how the game is going or who I'm playing, whether I'm shooting well or not, I'm out there laughing and having fun. I chat with people about random stuff like their funky hairdos or their nice kicks, compliment them on their game or sympathize with them when things aren't going their way. Basically, I just enjoy Gilbert's carefree and jovial character. That and he's a pretty fierce fantasy contributor. :) I'll be keeping Arenas in all my fantasy leagues until he either retires, dies from one too many reconstructive ACL injuries, or gets banned forever for driving a tank through D.C. (who knows, he's the kind of guy who'd actually do it).

In another story, Arenas is switching his jersey number from 0 to 6. There's a good chance he ends up staying with the Wizards next year, but if he changes his number, that will render my two current Arenas jerseys outdated. :( However, Arenas also happens to be changing his number to yours truly's. :D 6 has always been my number...mostly because it's the rarest of the favorite numbers out there. Finally, it'll be sad that we can't really call Arenas "Agent Zero" anymore. Guess we'll have to settle for something like "Six Shooter" instead. ;)

Hope the sentencing goes well tomorrow. Good luck Gilbert Arenas!