Wednesday, September 28, 2011

IBM StarCraft 2 League

A couple weeks ago, an IBMer at IBM Tucson googled the words "IBM" and "Starcraft".  One of the results led to my blog and e-mailed me telling me about a league for StarCraft 2 that he was organizing for him and his friends at IBM.  Before he found me, the league had only been on for about 3 weeks.  I joined their channel one night and decided it'd be fun to participate in a work league for StarCraft 2.  With my help, I was able to recommend other IBMers who play SC2 and they grew from 11 people to 16.

After the assimilation of new recruits, the league has put together the "October Classic" season.  It is comprised of 4 pools that contain 4-5 players each and will meet every Wednesday from ~7pm-10pm PST.  Tonight is the season opener and the first time I'll be playing a match in the league.  You can find the complete bracket online at challonge.com.  The first 3 weeks will be round robin pool play and at the end of the each month there'll be a single-elimination tournament with seeds based on the outcomes of the round robin play.

In case you're wondering, the IBMers we have so far mostly comprise of mid-level skill (Silver through Platinum) and there are just a small handful of Bronze and Diamond+ players.  I was selected to the highest pool, which is comprised of only one other Diamond+ at the moment - Steve (a.k.a. GreatArchon).  Steve and I have been playing against each other for quite some time with about a 50% split.  I guess you can say him and I would initially be the favorites to win the season, but hey, never doubt any player!

But really this is just an opporunity to have a fun yet organized league among friends and coworkers and I'm looking forward to playing some fun matches!