Monday, November 15, 2010

Veteran's Day Adventures!

I've never had a reason to really celebrate Veteran's Day in the past, but for some reason this year there was quite a bit going on. On the Wednesday before the holiday, a somewhat random group of us went camping on Mt. Lemmon. It's random because we were hanging out at the Hut on Sunday night for Day of the Dead and decided it'd be fun to have a camping trip later that week. So Jonny, Jen, Deanna, Vanessa, Carla, Eli, Matt, and myself (some of us who had just met on that Sunday) all made the trek up to Mt. Lemmon and camped overnight. I had never been to Mt. Lemmon before despite having lived in Tucson for almost 10 years, so this wasn't a trip I wanted to pass on. Unfortuntaely when we got there, it took forever to find a campground because it was so crowded due to the holiday. We literally drove up and down the mountain for 2 hours looking for a spot before we settled on a campground in Molino Basin, which was fine with me since it was dark and it wasn't like I could really tell what my surroundings looked like anyway. :) It was your typical camping trip: drinking, bonfire with smores, grilled dogs, and a fun group of random people. I also like the "Tent Projects" we set up for overnight where we passed out in around 3 in the morning.
On Veteran's Day, I woke up at 7:30am (I know I know, how's that even possible for me) to get ready for a road trip to Bisbee with Brooke and Courtney. Our trip started around 10 in the morning and we decided to take the route through Tombstone on our way to Bisbee. I'd never been to either city and among good company this was a real fun day!
There's not a whole lot to do in Tombstone, but it seemed like there was plenty to look at the few hours we were there. We stumbled upon the part of the city that has a bunch of museums, shops, and saloons. The girls were quite funny, running around all day like kids in an amusement park and at other times wreaking some havoc as well. ;) It was hilarious when the clerk at the Shady Lady told Courtney "don't bother on coming back." LOL!
Our ultimate destination was the city of Bisbee. I didn't really know what to expect of this place, but it's actually a pretty cool town! As you can see in the picture below, all the homes rest all over the mountains and that with the lush, green environment really give it some kind of old-European-town type of feeling.Bisbee only has a couple main streets where all the restaurants, bars, and stores reside. The rest is just enjoying the atmosphere and the small-town vibe this city emanates. :) I hear the city of Bisbee throws some bitchin' New Years and Halloween parties and I could definitely imagine them packing the few streets they have in town. A quiet little town that is just beautiful to look at. I'm really happy Brooke and Courtney invited me on their adventure!
I also don't know how I survived the rest of the night. After only getting 4 hours of sleep in a cold tent the night before and adventuring all day long, we still managed to hit up the bars on 4th when we got back to Tucson, hahaha. Great times with great people and loving every minute!!!