Monday, December 1, 2014

Paleo Diet: Day 1

When I first learned that LeBron James had gone on the Paleo diet, I thought to myself, "why would LBJ need to go on a diet?"

For a while now, I have noticed an increase in my body's weight over the years.  I'm simply not as young as I used to be (now 31-years-old) and my metabolism probably isn't as fast.  And for anyone, as you get older it just becomes more difficult to exercise as easily due to life's other priorities, or perhaps your body just can't handle vigorous workouts as often as it used to.  I measured myself on the scale the other day and I now come in at 190 lbs and my waist measures 36.5" (+/- a half inch). In summation, I feel like a Fatty McFatty. :/ So I've been thinking, if the greatest athlete in the world feels the need to go on a diet every once in a while, why can't I?

I didn't spend too much time researching diets.  Over the months, I've read enough about the gist of these new era diets (gluten free, wheat belly, Atkins, etc) to understand the simple concept: cut out the crap and eat healthier.  Enough of my friends have tried some variation of some diet and it's worked for them in whatever way they chose.  And so begins my time on the Paleo diet...

DAY 1:

First things first, I had to make a list of the things I could eat and the things I couldn't and put it on my fridge so that I was reminded every time I got hungry.  This is my first time ever attempting a real diet, so it's a little intimidating at first.

DON'T EAT:
• wheat, grains, pastas, breads
• dairy, cheese
• potatoes
• soda, sugar, salt
• BEER
• vegetable oil

DO EAT:
meats, fish, poultry
• eggs
• vegetables, fruits
• olive oil

This list is based off the Paleo website and is altered slightly based on foods I personally enjoy eating.

All of the items in the "DON'T EAT" section were hard to give up.  I noticed right of the bat that salt is in almost everything: my seasonings and my sauces. :(  And of course, beer is going to be tough to abstain from drinking, but I've gone weeks without drinking to prove to myself that I could, so it shouldn't be that bad.
Day 1: side view- 190lbs, waist 36.5"
Day 1: front view- 190lbs, waist 36.5"
On my first day, I had pork chops for lunch and a steak for dinner.  I used pepper and parsley seasoning, so fortunately it didn't taste bland.  I had a couple fried eggs using olive oil and then raspberries for my late night snack.  I then steamed enough cauliflower and broccoli to have for a few days to be added to the leftover meats I'm bringing to work for lunch.  Orange slices for breakfast, banana for afternoon snack.

I'll continue to maintain my normal workout schedule at the gym, which consists of lifting weights twice a week and running/playing ball another 2-3 times the rest of the week.  My goal is to knock off 10 lbs and at least 1.5" off my waist and do it all by December 20th, in time for the holidays back in Scottsdale, since maintaining the diet would be tough to do at my parents' house and there will be several of festivities where I'll want to enjoy an alcoholic beverage.  I'll return with updates after the 10th and 20th days.  Wish me luck!