Monday, January 27, 2014

Duncan Cam!

Living alone can have its advantages, but it definitely has its cons as well.  One of those cons is not having an extra set of eyes to help watch my biggest asset: my house.  I don't have an advanced security installed in my home and I am obviously not home all the time.  Fortunately, I live in a culdesac at the very end of my street, so burglars are less tempted to go that deep into the neighborhood to break into a house.  Nonetheless, home security is very important and whatever affordable measures can be taken to improve security should be considered!

A couple weekends ago, I was at my sister's house and she told me about a surveillance camera her family uses to monitor their home while they're away.  I looked into getting one for myself and eventually I purchased a HooToo Surveillance Camera off Amazon.com for $70 (my sister's brand is Foscam).  The camera is a great investment!  It has built in wireless which allows me to put it anywhere in the house as long as the Wi-Fi is accessible.  I can then monitor my home from my computer at work or from my phone!  Most of the time, it just serves as a Duncan Cam. :)


Having the camera installed helps give me peace of mind that my home is safe including Duncan. Obviously I can't be staring at it 24-7, but I do keep it open on my second monitor while I'm at work and will check it from my phone when I'm out of town.  Also, during long vacations, I can enable the motion detection sensor to e-mail me if any large movements are detected in the camera's line of sight!  Definitely worth the very affordable price!

I'll say the only drawback is that I see a fluffy Duncan sleeping on the sofa and I just want to squeeze him.  Makes me miss my cat even more when I'm not home... :O