Thursday, May 5, 2011

No Repeat... :(

The IBM Basketball League championships were held last Wednesday, but unforutnately I was not crowned the winner. :( The first game was pretty close the entire time, but we started making mistakes and committing turnovers in the 2nd half and were eventually done in.  Since it's a double-elimination tournament and we had not lost a game, we had to play a 2nd game to determine the champion.
The 2nd game we started out really hot, jumping out to a 24-11 lead about 13 minutes into the game.  We were really pumped and needed to stay aggressive and not let the other team back into the game.
However, Jose's team is very quick and is in great shape and I feel like their stamina was the key in outlasting us and eventually coming back in the game.  To be honest, our team just doesn't have much depth past it's top 3-4 scoring options.  Depth plays a key role when your star players need rest or are being heavily defended and that's something our team really lacked this year.

My legs started to die at the end from giving it my all and it was Jose's team that came out victorious.  Our team still had a good season as it's always an accomplishment to make the finals, but there can only be one winner in this game.  I do feel like I come out firing very early in our games and help our team get out and ahead early, but then I start to feel selfish, so I try to get others involved and then stop taking my own shots later in the game.  As a point guard, it's tough to balance your own shot and your teammate's.
Next year I have strongly considered being a captain.  I feel like it will force me to take a larger role on offense and I honestly think I could draft together a strong team.  I know almost all the players in the league and their strengths, so I think it would be a good challenge for me to see if I can put together a team and lead it to a championship.  It's a thought, but I've led softball teams to championships and we all know I can put together a good fantasy team haha!  We shall see...